Thursday, June 16, 2011

Return to the Magic!

Magic The Gathering

So even before i finished Duels of The Planeswalers the new Duels came out. DotP 2012. It is improved or so they say....i played just for an hour so i cant really say exactly how much of the game got changed and upgraded. Still it felt great. I should probably finish the campaign of the first one and beat the challanges. I hate to leave things un-finished.

The thing is the game is very fun to play on PC. It keeps reminding me of my childhood days when i used to play with my friends the actual TCG! I get this alot . . . . man i wish i wasnt so weak. Every month ill see something get excited about it and spend some cash X_X
Thats how i dumped around  600$ on Warhammer minuatures that i didnt even finish painting. It seemed like a good idea at the time but in the end i played like 2 games and quit that. Honestly id like to play some WH40k. But i just cant afford the time. I dont consider buying bunch of books and manga as a $$$ dumping since i enjoy it and it has been a long standing hobby of mine. But decoration figures on the other hand are not really neccesery yet everynow and then ill see one cool figure and buy it. Squall Lionheart from FF Dissidian being the last one i got. Dont get me wrong the figure is awesome and is proudly chilling next to my Berserk volumes but still . . . . did i really need it ?_?

I do the same thing with Clothes and Shoes. . . . thats why i got a dozen shoes X_X i get bored and i go do some shopping . . . . sigh. Its partly because i can afford it and partly because im so busy and i just need a break from all the pressure from work. But still it pisses me off that i cant control my urges better. Shit i got a girlfriend now and even with all the sex i get i still feel like getting geeky things X_X 
I guess my friends were wrong. . . being in a relationship wont save me from my nerdy addictions.


The reason im talking about these stuff is . . . well . . . plating the planeswalker games suddenly i thought HEY! I SHOULD PLAY MAGIC AGAIN! Now around 1 year ago (maybe longer) i had the same brilliant idea (sarcasm) and got some boosters and some kind of intro deck or something made a lame deck. Got my ass kicked and then i gave up. Still put the cards in a nice folder so i can enjoy em wherever i feel like it but thats as far as i went. It costed me like 70$ or so.
This time i felt like going back into collecting the cards. See the current running block in MtG is storywise happening in Mirrodin. Which is the same world on which i played when i started the game. And that was back in 2005. So i dont know. i guess nostalgia hit me. Ive always liked collecting the cards. Great art pieces especially the dragons and the multiple color cards. 
So yeah i went to the wizards website. Did some scouting and research. 2 days later i went to the Good Games shop in the CDB and . . .
I fucking ordered ONE COPY OF EACH CARD FROM THE "SCARS OF MIRRODIN SET" X_X I must have been out of my mind! It costed me 400$ with the folder and some protectors.

Well yesterday i went to pick up my loot. I was semi-excited semi pissed the fuck off at myself for spending that money on the cards. So i got my stuff. It turned out that 3 of the rare cards were un-available and will take around a week for the shop to obtain them for me. I had a chat with the guy at the counter and i asked about how should i proccede about getting back into the game. And there were like a dozen or so players in the shop so he told me to go talk to 2 guys that were very casual players and they could give me a hand. So i go there say hi and one of the guys checks out my deck. Its "Standard" and he has nothing to fight me with (nothing that wont kill me in 1 turn) and then guy offers that i join him and his 2 friends in a something called Commander type of game where we play 4 FFA with 40 life at begining and he gave each of us a 100 card deck. I got a blue/red deck. Im not sure what kind of deck it was because i didnt see that many of the cards. but MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN that game was an amazing fun. First of all he had those decks duked with some crazy ass rare cards. Some of them from blocks so old i didnt even recognize their emblems. The game was insane and uber fun. At start was kinda slow then finally i got a funny creature that mind controls and then i got an enchantement that made copies of it and i started stealing creatures and spaming tokens. And that pretty much took out the fighting abilities of the Green/Red guy. But then the Mono Green player started dishing out some serious army while the black/blue deck was gearing up with alot of artefacts. Eventually i lost my copy powers and was left with like 1 creature. I had this 8 mana spell that takes control of all creatures and untaps them for 1 turn. So i was like omg i need one mana and i can kill the elf guy with the huge army . . . and kill him with his OWN army. So i draw a card i get the mana. I go like OOOO your so dead. And before i casted it i was like...oh wait...nah its ok...green doesnt have any couneter spells...So i cast it atk him with like 30 creatures from all of us and then he casts . . . . FOG! MAN that was so crazy! Everybody was laughing so hard. It was the ultimate screw up!
He was like...FOG OFF Mate hahaha i aint dying. I actually gave myself that finger since he said he was about to discard the card but when i said i can kill him he kept it just in case. X_X
After that he got called to play in a draft with bunch of other guys so we had to stop and i also had to rush out bacause i was late for a dinner appointement. But the game was just so so so much fun. I really think ill give it a shot this time and try to do some Magic everynow and then. I find that im enjoyed it too much. :)

3 comments:

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

>.< I love me some Magic. But my new hobby is better.

Jimmy said...

Well i think ill go into collecting them. And just play the PLaneswalker game on Steam.
Do when im around the shop in the city i might drop in for some games. I had so much fun last time/.
Tho i need to cough up some $$$ to get me a good deck. Those guys there have fucking insane decks. I dont even see anything with less than 100 cards X_X
p.p: I checked the website of the Goog Games here in Oz...dude they have almost all cards from each set...i mean sets that i dont even know the names of and they have em X_X fucking nuts. Collectors dream

Skarvald the Troll-faced said...

Dude, most shops around here are the same. I have 3 decks that I built myself and they have mediocre-rares at best, but the way they work together is what makes them amazing.
I've got a Green/White deck that turns everything into an enchantment and then blows everything up! A White/Green Deck that is all about preventing damage until I mill my opponent. And a Red/Green deck that is just... look up the card Warp World.